Principal's Update - 10th June 2022
- Visit by Bishop Paul and Member of the DOBCEL Board
- St Columba’s Feast Day
- Sacraments of Reconciliation & Eucharist Term Three
- ‘Celebrating Our Learning’ Open Afternoon
- Hot Chocolate & Pyjama Day
- COVID Updates
- Rapid Antigen Tests
- Kelly Sports Winter Holiday Program
- Dates for the remainder of Term Two
- Important Dates for Term 3
Term Two is flying by fast, and Winter has struck hard with icy weather being felt around the region. With that said, our School Community has continued to be knocked by illness, with influenza, covid and various bugs affecting our families. Many have described the flu to be far worse than the effects of COVID. We know that everyone reacts differently; however, we continue to request that you support us by keeping your children home if they are unwell.
Each industry continues to struggle with illness and a lack of replacement staff. We are no different. The message to families around staffing numbers and the possibility of moving to remote learning was not issued to raise alarm but to merely be transparent and ensure everyone was informed in case our staffing numbers dropped below safe ratios for our classes. Many of you who have students in secondary schools here in Ballarat, would have already received similar notifications if not experienced a short term move to remote learning for some year levels.
We are, however, being proactive and seeking alternative options to remain open and ensure continuity of learning for our students. The Catholic Education Office continues to support us in our endeavours by looking at system-wide solutions. Many of the options proposed haven’t been feasible. We continue to work as a Principal Network here in Ballarat to see what is possible.
Please know that closure is our last option. We continue to do all we can, as we have done throughout the pandemic over these last two and a half years. Our students are always central to our decision making, and our focus remains on solid core teaching and supporting well-being to ensure we are meeting the needs of all our students.
We thank our families for their continued support and encouragement. We will get through this together.
Visit by Bishop Paul and Member of the DOBCEL Board
Last Monday, we were fortunate to host a visit by Bishop Paul Bird and DOBCEL (Diocese of Ballarat Catholic Education Limited ) representative Mr Stephen McArdle. Bishop Paul participated in a beautiful Liturgy with our Year Three Sacramental recipients and toured our school. He was excited to meet everyone and be able to attend onsite after two years of cancelled appointments to visit our school.
St Columba’s Feast Day
Today we celebrated as a school community the Feast of St Columba. Each community hosted a shared lunch of pizza, followed by a beautiful Liturgy in our Hall. The students participated respectfully, and all who contributed by reading passages or other roles should be proud of their efforts. Students then made bookmarks to commemorate the day. Our thanks must once again go to our Religious Education leaders, Torie and Lucy for their organisation of the day.
Sacraments of Reconciliation & Eucharist Term Three
We would like to draw your attention to the Sacraments of Junior Reconciliation and First Eucharist that will be prepared for and celebrated in Term Three. All Year 4 and 5 children who have completed their Sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation are welcome to enrol. Our Sacramental Program is Parish-based yet school supported.
Please register here and contact Lia at email@example.com with any questions.
Please save the following dates:
- Monday 18th July - 5:45 pm - 6:30 pm
- Monday 25th July - 5:45 pm - 6:30 pm
- Monday 1st August - 7:00 pm Sacrament of Reconciliation at St Columba’s Church
- Tuesday 2nd August - 7:00 pm Sacrament of Reconciliation at St Columba’s Church
- Monday 8th August - 5:45 pm - 6:30 pm
- Monday 15th August - 5:45 pm - 6:30 pm
- Monday 22nd August - 5:45 pm - 6:30 pm
- Thursday 1st September - 3:45 pm at St Columba’s Church
- Sunday 4th September - Celebration of the Sacrament of Eucharist 10:00 am at St Columba’s Church
- Sunday 11th September - Celebration of the Sacrament of Eucharist 10:00 am at St Columba’s Church
- Sunday 18th September - Celebration of the Sacrament of Eucharist 10:00 am at St Columba’s Church
‘Celebrating Our Learning’ Open Afternoon
The children in Years 3-6 are keen to share their learning with family and friends! On Thursday, 16th June, from 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm, our Learning Communities will be open for you to come and chat to your child/children about their learning across all subject areas that they would like to share. We hope to see you there to share in the excitement with the students.
Hot Chocolate & Pyjama Day
As part of our Mini Vinnies fundraising, we are holding a Hot Chocolate & Pyjama Day on Thursday, 23rd June. Students are encouraged to wear their pyjamas to school and bring along a donation for the Winter Appeal.
Hot Chocolates will be $4 each. All Hot Chocolates will need to be pre purchased via the QuickCliq App. Please note that an individual order will need to be placed for each child (as with lunch orders). Students must also provide their own Keep Cup. No cup, no hot chocolate. These will be served at the first break.
Please continue to check PAM for daily updates on COVID 19 statistics for our school community. We continue to keep high levels of cleaning and sanitisation across our school.
Rapid Antigen Tests
The use of Rapid antigen tests will continue as a precautionary measure to screen students for the remainder of Term Two. Rapid antigen testing, while strongly recommended for those students who display symptoms, is voluntary.
Kelly Sports Winter Holiday Program
Location: Eastwood Leisure Centre
Times: 8 am to 5 pm
Ages: Kinder to Year 6
Activities: Full day of fun sports games and activities
What to bring: Warm clothes, plenty of food and a large refillable drink bottle
Cost: $55 per child per day ($250 for a full week)
Enrol: Online at www.kellysports.com.au/greater-ballarat
Dates for the remainder of Term Two
- Monday 13th June - Queen’s Birthday Public Holiday
- Tuesday 14th June - Year 3 / 4 Excursion to MCG
- Sunday 19th June - Mini Vinnies Commissioning Mass at St Columba’s Church 10:00am
- Monday 20th June - Year 3 / 4 Excursion to Bendigo Gold Museum
- Thursday 23rd June - Winter Appeal - Pyjama & Hot Chocolate Day
- Friday 24th June - Year 3 / 4 Excursion to Melbourne Vixens
- Friday 24th June - Last Day of Term & Casual Clothes Day
Important Dates for Term 3
- Monday 11th July - First Day Back for Term Three
- Thursday 21st July - School Closure Day Corwin Professional Learning
- Wednesday 3rd August - School Advisory Council
- Thursday 11th August - School Concert at Wendouree Performing Arts Centre
Bambi Afford & Shaun Mohr